The Best of NYC’s Greenmarket Farms and Farmers Markets
So grateful I live in one of the biggest cities in the world, with such easy access to farm-fresh fruits and vegetables! I say this a lot, especially to my suburban- and rural-based friends, who seem to buy all their produce at the supermarket. I like it because it's counter-intuitive; I like it because it's true.
Greenmarkets have sprouted up all over town these past few years, turning pocket parks and school yards into a weekly (or more!) bounty of amazing produce. You can find a location and schedule for the Greenmarket nearest you right here at the Grow NYC site. And if you can get to the remarkable Union Square market at any time–it runs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, and it's the biggest and best of them all–then your big-city life just got even more farm-fresh and delicious!
Union Square Market Offers Many Choices
I shop at the Union Square greenmarket at least twice a week, and it can be a bit overwhelming. So, to offer a bit of guidance, a quick list at some of my favorite booths would include:
- Flying Pigs Farm, has great eggs, and fantastic breakfast sausages
- Sycamore Farms, which has tons of apples in varieties you've never heard of, with helpful, accurate little signs to help you decide.
- Lucky Dog Organic, especially their excellent greens.
- Tamarack Hollow Farms, with the best eggs in the city.
- Queens County Farm, which grows everything exceptionally well.
Enjoy These Fresh Farm Good in NYC
Among the many other area farms bringing their goods to town on a regular basis, here a few more standouts:
- Prospect Hill Orchards, who set up shop in Tribeca and the Upper West Side.
- Fishkill Farms, serving three Brooklyn locations.
- Wilklow Orchards, also in Brooklyn a few times each week.
- Feather Ridge Farm, with eggs and chicken on the Upper East Side every Saturday.
And NYC greenmarkets aren't only about fresh produce; there's often a select group of vendors selling high-quality, locally made packaged products, such as Rick's Picks (I like his Phat Beets and Sweet and Sassy Mix) and Bread Alone (the rye is first-rate).
Posted in Downtown, NYC Dining, NYC Events, Other Neighborhoods, Top Picks, Upper East Side, Westside | Tagged best farmers market nyc • farmers market nyc • farmers market union square • green market farmers nyc • greenmarket farmers market • greenmarket nyc • nyc greenmarket farms