How To Plan The Perfect Thanksgiving Dinner
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it is time to start planning your meal! Since this year many will likely be celebrating with a smaller number of friends and family, you may find yourself a bit overwhelmed if in years passed you have only been in charge of bringing the dessert or a small side dish! Don’t fret, we have rounded up great suggestions on where to order Thanksgiving ready meals from or where to order the perfect ingredients for your home cooked meal! Keep reading to find out more.
Where To Shop For Food
Whether you’re making the entire dinner from scratch or relying completely on a “pick up the entire pre-cooked meal and re-heat right before serving” approach, you’re in luck because NYC truly has it all. From chain stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods to more NYC specific shops such as Fairway and the Amish Market, there’s plenty of grocery markets to pick up your ingredients. And if you really find yourself in a pinch, don’t discount placing an order via FreshDirect, which will deliver everything straight to your door on a date and time of your choosing (hence you skip all the madness of shopping in store, and do it all via your computer instead!) FreshDirect even has their own wine shop, allowing you to place a large delivery order for all your beverages, as well, but be sure to place your FreshDirect order a few days in advance so they don’t sell out of all your key Thanksgiving ingredients!
Here’s a few tips to remember before going out shopping for your ingredients:
- Make a giant list ahead of time, including all the dishes you plan to make and every ingredient called for in each dish. This way you won’t be scrambling at the last minute for things!
- Don’t forget to stop by the herb aisle to stock up on a few different kinds of fresh herbs and spices. Even if you don’t use them all in your dishes for flavoring, they can really spruce up your table setting, like cinnamon sticks!
- Make sure to load up on a few easy snacks that don’t require any prep on your end and can be sitting out in bowls around your Glenwood apartment for your family to snack. A variety of nuts, crackers, cheeses, and dried fruits are good options to have on hand.
The Fairmont – Upper East Side ApartmentsWelcome home to the Fairmont - one of Glenwood's Upper East Side luxury apartment buildings. Drive up a circular driveway with fountains, landscaped entrance and gardens, and be greeted by 24-hour door service. Relax on a sun deck and enjoy upscale amenities. Learn more about available one and two bedroom luxury apartments today!
Order Prepared Thanksgiving Meals
If you usually head to your parents or in-laws for Thanksgiving, where a delicious meal is always prepared for you, this year will definitely feel very different! Luckily, NYC has some of the best Thanksgiving prepared meals that you can order straight to your apartment! Citarella, located close to Glenwood’s Upper East Side residents, has all your favorite classics! From turkey, honey glazed ham, stuffing made two different ways and any Thanksgiving side or dessert you could think of, Citarella has you covered! Visit their website to learn how to place your order a head of time! Another great option is Eli Zabar’s Thanksgiving catering. Visit their website and fill out their order form. It is multiple pages long with every and any Thanksgiving dish you could think of!
Decor and Table Settings
Thanksgiving is the perfect time of year to pull out all the stops. Do you have china dishes and crystal glasses that have been sitting in your cabinets since your wedding? Rinse them off and set them up! And even if you’re using your everyday dishes, there’s some super simple ways to elevate them for the holiday. Even if you are only celebrating this Thanksgiving with your immediate family, setting a beautiful table is a great way to lift spirits! Here’s a few of our tried-and-true tips:
- Forage autumn materials in Central Park to use as table settings (such an easy activity for most Glenwood residents, particularly those living on the Upper East Side at The Marlowe!) From beautiful red, yellow, orange, and brown leaves that can be marked on with a gold Sharpie with guests’s names and used as nameplates, to acorns and pinecones and sticks that can be set in clear bowls and vases around the room, there’ss no shortage of ways to bring in the outside season into your home. Plus, this is a free and wonderful activity to have your children help you with!
- And while it’s not necessary to go out shopping for entire new table settings, picking up a few special items from homegoods stores can make the occasion feel quite memorable. Perhaps a new pair of candlesticks from Pottery Barn, some updated autumn colored throw pillow covers from West Elm on the Westside, or a beautiful serving bowl from the Bloomingdale’s home department in Midtown East.
The Marlowe – Upscale East Side ApartmentsThe Marlowe is a great location for luxury living in the heart of the Upper East Side. With 4 unique units per floor, make your next home in one of these exclusive apartments with airy rooms and 9-foot ceilings. Book a tour today!