When Amanda Sharp and Matthew Slotover, the co-founders of London's huge (and hugely influential… AND hugely fun) Frieze Art Fair decided to bring their fabulous spectacle across the Atlantic, they chose to forgo the insanity of NYC Armory Art Fair weekend and set up camp at a location, and at a time, all their own. The location turned out to be Randall's Island–fairly close by for Glenwood Upper East Side and Gracie Point residents; fairly not-at-all-close-by for everyone else–and the time is almost now!
Frieze Art Fair 2012 hits NYC: Pop-up Exhibition village Designed by SO-IL
Starting next Friday May 4 and running through Monday May 7, the Frieze New York Art Fair opens up its "temporary pop-up village", designed by the Brooklyn architecture firm SO-IL and highlighted by a huge, centipede-y tent, on Randall's Island. At first glance the dominant feature of the location seems to be "remote", but what the Frieze New York lacks in walk-upability, it more than makes up for with its vast acreage (256!), its site-specific installations, its spacious food and beverage offerings, its lovely waterfront views. That's the plan, anyway.
- The aforementioned winding tent, which could be aesthetically really cool
- The more than 170 international galleries, both heavy hitters like Gagosian as well as scrappy newcomers, showing their stuff
- The eight site-specific commissioned pieces that take full advantage of the outdoor setting, such as Virginia Overton's flexible mirrors hung from the trees, and Joel Kyack's "country-fair game trailer."
- Free ferry rides every 15 minutes to and from East 35th Street
- A sculpture park right on the water
- The spread-out food court featuring the likes of Frankie Spuntino, Roberta's, Fat Radish, and Sant Ambroeus.
Frieze Art Fair New York – the details on catching London's Frieze Art Fair here in NYC
The Frieze New York Art Fair is located on Randall's Island and will be open from 12:00 noon until 7:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, May 4 and 5, and until 6:00 p.m. on Sunday and Monday May 6 and 7. For lots more information, please see the Frieze New York website, here.Tweet