NYC Pools To Cool Off In This Summer
Riding the subway for hours isn’t the only way to cool off this summer New York, we promise. Here’s our roundup of pools in all 5 boroughs of the city that will make you thankful you opted for a stay-cation this season:
1. With more than 60 public swimming pools in all the boroughs of the city, the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation wins the gold star for this category. With free does come a few disadvantages though: they are super strict on what you can bring into the swimming area (read: towel, water, and reading material), so no large picnics allowed. Also, they can fill up pretty quickly during the week with camp kids and summer school students, so if crowds aren’t your thing, the weekend may be the safest bet.
2. Located in Queens, Spa Castle has plenty of water activities for you to cool off (or warm up!) Our favorite for the summer season, however, is the rooftop pool. When you get too hot you can go downstairs to the “ice castle sauna” to cool down. How’s that for refreshing? If you’re taking public transportation, the facility makes it super simple by offering a free shuttle bus, which picks people up at the last stop (Flushing, Main Street) on the 7 train. A true New York experience!
Cost: $50 for weekend day pass, $40 for weekday day pass
3. Chelsea Piers offers pool + Hudson River sun decks…not to mention basketball courts, jogging track, and an extensive collection of exercise equipment. The day pass is a little steep, but hey, it’s cheaper than a flight to Miami.
Cost: $60 Day Pass
4. Making the list mostly because we just love the concept, the floating pool has found its current home in the Hunts Point neighborhood in the Bronx. The idea behind the floating pool (which is actually located on a giant barge) is that every year it would change locations, giving New Yorkers all over the 5 boroughs equal access to its facilities. With vista views of the city, this unique space is a great place to spend a Saturday. Only drawback: it’s located about a mile from any train station, so wear your comfy flip-flops and be prepared to walk.
5. Located on the East River with panoramic views, the Waterside Plaza Swim and Health Club has graciously opened its doors for day passers. You will find it nestled inside a glass enclosed building with a retractable roof that comes down in the summer. There is also a rooftop deck that is perfect for soaking up those NYC rays, complete with a view, of course.
Cost: $20 Day Pass for Adults, $10 For Children
And a little bonus tip for you…you can always sign up for a FREE one-day trial guest pass to check out the pool at your local YMCA. Go forth and be cool this summer, New Yorkers!
We’d love to know where you made a splash this week in the city! Share your pool time with us on Facebook and Twitter!
Posted in manhattan living, NYC Events |