Healthy Baking Tips
While practicing social distancing at home, baking has become one of my family’s favorite activities. Not only does it take up a lot of time, get the entire family doing something together, and taste delicious- but homemade treats are extremely comforting and we could all use a little of that right now! Over the past few months, I have tried to place an emphasis on using healthy ingredients to bake with, and it turns out that our cookies, brownies, muffins and banana bread still taste just as delicious-maybe even better! Keep reading to find out some of my suggestions.
Healthy Baking Substitutes In The Kitchen:
For All Purpose Flour
- Almond Flour
- Oat Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Chickpea Flour
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Almond Butter
- Mashed Bananas (great for baking!)
- Coconut sugar
- Maple Syrup
- Agave Nectar
For Pam Spray
- Olive Oil Spray
- Coconut Oil Spray
Healthy, Delicious Recipes!
Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies!
These cookies are so easy to make! And, you only need 3 ingredients!
- 5 cups of oatmeal
- 2 bananas
- 1/3 cup of chocolate chips
- Mash the bananas, add in the oats – mix until smooth
- Add in as many chocolate chips as you desire
- Pop them on a sprayed baking sheet in the oven at 350 for 15ish minutes (some ovens cook faster than others)
- 1 can of Chickpeas
- 1/3 cup of Maple syrup
- ½ cup of Peanut butter (or your butter of choice alternative)
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- Chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl except the chocolate chips
- Whisk together until smooth
- Add a handful of chocolate chips
- Pop into a baking tin and bake at 350 degrees for 20ish minutes, check with a toothpick around 15 minutes as every oven bakes differently!
Banana Oat Muffin
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 heaping cup of mashed bananas
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup of almond milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Almond butter and cinnamon as frosting
- In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients, mix together
- Add in the wet ingredients, whisk until smooth consistency
- Spray muffin tin with olive oil spray and pop in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes
- Let the muffins sit for 10 minutes then coat the top with almond butter and a dash of cinnamon!
The Barclay – Luxury East Side Apartments Now AvailableThe Barclay offers great amenities for the whole family, including a sun deck, fitness center, children's playroom, laundry facility, and bicycle storage services. Let The Barclay suit your lifestyle - book a tour here.
Out of a box baking can be healthier (and really yummy) too!
Now, if you just prefer to bake out of a box, don’t worry, there are still healthy box alternatives!
Check out Simple Mills- they have the most delicious Almond Flour Brownie box – you only need to add olive oil, 2 eggs, and water! Simple Mills also has my favorite boxed cookies and pumpkin bread muffin boxes!