Activities For A Socially Distant May
While we have entered yet another month of social distancing, you may be wondering what are the new best shows, books, or things to do at home to keep us entertained through the next few weeks. Whether your escape from slight cabin fever is cooking, reading, or a great movie, we have some suggestions for you! Keep reading to find out more.
Movement will definitely help release excess up energy you have while you haven’t been able to go to your favorite spinning or Barry’s boot camp class! A great idea that many can do is go for a long walk. If you have an iPhone, the health app will track your steps. Try to aim for 10,000 steps a day. You can go for a morning walk and an afternoon walk, which can add structure and routine to your day. If you need some adult time from your kids at home, this is a great way to get out of the house for an hour.
There are many free exercise classes available online to choose from, but I have been gravitating towards the Peloton app’s yoga and meditating classes. Again, looking for any sort of routine right now, I usually will do a 20 minute mat workout, followed by light stretching and a 10 meditation either on the Peloton app or the Calm app.
Some great new books are:
- Maybe You Should Talk To Someone
- The Glass Hotel
- Code Name Helene
- All Adults Here
- The Boy From The Woods
- The Ballads of Song Birds and Snakes (Hunger Games 0)
- Beach Read
- The Guest List
A great dinner option to use immune boosting ingredients (and really any veggies left over in your fridge) is curry! I have made curry a few ways now and this one is my favorite recipe from a Vegan-ish food instagram account I follow called VeganishVal. But remember, you can throw in or substitute any veggies or protein options you have at home!
Ingredients -(feeds 3)
- purple onions
- red bell peppers
- coconut oil
- firm tofu (or chicken)
- coconut milk
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- pink salt
- 1/2 lime
- rice of choice
- sauté purple onions, red bell peppers, and zucchini in a pan lined with coconut oil
- grill tofu in a touch of sesame oil on another pan
- cook rice
- once veggies are soft, add in 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp ginger powder, dash of cinnamon, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp chili powder, pinch of salt and pepper, 1/2 lime juice
- cover and cook veggies for 5-7 min and then add another 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- add 2 handfuls of spinach, cover and cook for 5 more min
- add the tofu
- pour over rice
If you are interested in specific immune boosting foods, check out our previous blog post.
The Andover – Upper East Side Luxury ApartmentsLocated in the quaint village of Gracie Point, The Andover boasts spacious apartments and first-class amenities. With units specifically designed for small and growing families in mind, browse available apartments today!
Netflix is how I have gotten through many nights during these past few months! Some favorite shows have been:
- Workin’s Moms- a well written, 30 minute hysterical comedy about being a parent. It is equally relatable for moms and dad!
- Dead To Me season 2! If you have not watched this show, it is worth it!
- Fauda – great action series
- Becoming- Michelle Obama’s Netflix documentary is finally here!
- Artic Dogs – a cute movie for the kids that the whole family will enjoy!
- Extraction- a great action movie, featuring Chris Hemsworth as he saves a kidnapped boy
Posted in manhattan living, Uncategorized | Tagged cooking at home • meditation • Netflix • new books • popular movies • quarantine activities • reading • tv shows • yoga