3 Gluten Free Dessert Recipes
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and preparing a meal means making sure guests with dietary restrictions are still able to enjoy the feast! Dessert is certainly no exception, so gluten free treats are a must. Today, we will dive into three different gluten free dessert recipes that are so delicious they will satisfy more than just the gluten free crowd, all the way from the Upper East Side to Downtown.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Squares with Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Crust
Straight from the blog Oh She Glows is a recipe that will not only thrill the gluten free folks, but also any vegans in the crowd. Vegan Pumpkin Pie Squares with Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Crust are the perfect alternative to putting together an actual pie. Plus, unlike pie which requires a proper plate and fork to consume, these squares can be plucked up and enjoyed straight from the dessert table, with nothing more than a napkin for cleaning up after! Prep time is 20 minutes, and cook time 45 minutes.
Another perk about this dessert? You’re actually encouraged to make it the day before so that it can set overnight in the fridge in your Glenwood home…less stress the day of Thanksgiving!
Here’s the ingredients, which yield 9 large squares:
Ingredients for the crust:
2 cups gluten-free graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons coconut nectar syrup (or brown rice syrup)
Ingredients for the pumpkin filling:
1 (14-ounce/400 mL) can pumpkin puree
1/3 cup natural cane sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (use only the white cream portion)
1.5 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 tablespoons almond milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
pinch fine grain sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease an 8-inch square pan. Now, line the pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way. I like to spray the first piece of parchment paper with non-stick oil so the second piece sticks nicely and doesn’t fall over.
- Prepare the crust: In a medium bowl, combine the graham crumbs, melted coconut oil, and sweetener until the crumbs are thoroughly coated in the mixture. Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out evenly.
- Pre-bake the crust, uncovered, for 10 minutes at 350F.
- Prepare the filling: In a small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot powder and maple syrup until no clumps remain. Add this and all of the other filling ingredients into a food processor and process until completely smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed. When the crust has come out of the oven, immediately pour this filling on top of the baked crust and smooth out as evenly as possible with a spatula.
- Bake, uncovered, for around 41-43 minutes at 350F until the filling has darkened slightly and it’s semi-firm to the touch (although the filling will still be very soft and sticky!). Place on a cooling rack for about 60 minutes and then into the fridge to set overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
Upscale Living at The LucerneThe upscale amenities of The Lucerne perfectly compliment luxury living in New York! Book a tour today of your potential new home.
Chocolate Ganache Coconut Crusted Pie With Toasted Almonds
From the lifestyle blog Say Yes comes a delicious gluten free 5 ingredient chocolate coconut pie (think of it as an elevated Almond Joy). We love this because, in addition to being adaptable for different dietary restrictions, it also doesn’t require many fancy ingredients. Five and you’re done and done! This is the perfect dish to have something chocolatey on the table, after all, what is dessert (or Thanksgiving) without a little chocolate?
Ingredients for the crust:
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
6 cups of sweetened coconut
Ingredients For the filling:
1 cup heavy cream
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate & 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
(the better quality the chocolate, the better taste it will have!)
- Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. In a food processor, process butter and one-third of the coconut until it forms a ball, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Sprinkle remaining two-thirds coconut over mixture and combine with your fingers.
- Place a 8-inch pie pan on a baking sheet. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up the sides of the pan to form a crust, leaving the top edges loose and fluffy. Place a foil ring over edge to prevent from burning. Bake until center begins to brown, 10-15 minutes; remove foil and bake until edges are browned, 4-5 minutes more. Keep an eye on it because the coconut burns quickly!! Remove and let it cool.
- Make the filling: Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Let it sit 5 minutes, then stir until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is combined. Pour into coconut crust. Refrigerate until filling is set, 1 hour or up to 1 day. Garnish with toasted almonds and shaved unsweetened coconut.
Sweet Potato Bites
Finally, a dessert to combine sweet and savory elements. Say hello to the only vegetable that can be part of the Thanksgiving dinner and dessert, the sweet potato! These Sweet Potato Bites from Delish are very simple to put together and are bound to be a crowd favorite. The best part is, you can impress your guests by serving these as a pre-dinner appetizer or as a tasty treat for dessert!
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 (10-oz.) bag of marshmallows
1/2 c. pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with melted butter and maple syrup and arrange in an even layer. Season with salt.
- Bake until tender, flipping halfway through, about 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and switch oven to broil.
- Top each sweet potato round with a marshmallow and broil until puffed and golden. Immediately top each marshmallow with a pecan half and serve.
Spacious Apartments Available at The FairmontThe Fairmont boasts some if the area's most pristine apartments. Schedule a tour today to find out more.
A Few Tips
In addition to the desserts you’re making, make sure to stock up on a few essentials which will take the sweet treats to the next level, such as:
- ice cream
- and any toppings that could enhance the dish (walnuts, chocolate sauce, whipped or coconut cream, and cinnamon)
Also, consider having disposable plates and utensils on hand for the dessert course. Especially after a large, dishwasher-filling meal, this will save you another big round of dishes and cleanup.