Summer Guide To Outdoor Movies In NYC
Dim the lights, grab some popcorn, and watch your favorite movies under the Manhattan sky! Summertime is filled with outdoor events, and we’re ready to take advantage of each and every scene. From the largest rooftop terraces, to popular parks with a view, check out NYC’s best outdoor movie opportunities this summer.
Movies In The Parks
Movies in the parks, dubbed “Movies Under the Stars”, are one of the most loved NYC summer rituals. Not only are they fabulous ways to motivate yourself to get off the couch (away from Netflix) and to enjoy a film under the moonlight, but they are also hosted by the NYC Parks Department and absolutely free. There’s a huge selection to choose from, with films happening in all five boroughs of NYC basically every evening of summer 2018. We’ve collected the ones happening in Glenwood neighborhoods that we’re most excited about! All of the movies in the park begin at 8pm, however, it’s suggested to arrive by 7:30pm at the latest to secure a spot. Blankets are allowed, as well as food and drinks in non-glass containers.
Exploring the Upper East SideWith the Second Ave Subway & Central Park within walking distance, the Upper East Side seems too good to be true! Find a luxury apartment at an affordable price.
- On June 9th, take in one of the most beloved classic films of all times, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Held at Randall’s Island Park, this film is super easy for Upper East Side residents to get to. You can jump on the 6 train to 103rd Street and walk, or take a cab/Uber to the Ward’s Island Bridge, which connects you to the lower end of the park where the movies are shown.
- On June 13th, bring the kiddos for a showing of Despicable Me 3 on the Upper East Side’s very own St. Catherine’s Park. Come early for ice cream, popcorn, face painters, and activities related to the film. Located at 67th and 1st Avenue, the park is close to many Glenwood buildings, such as The Fairmont.
- On July 11th, enjoy a throwback to a classic, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? on the Westside’s Pier 1. Sunset over the Hudson River is a bonus!
- On July 13th, residents living Downtown who don’t mind a short cab or Uber ride will appreciate Romantics Anonymous, held on the Old Bandshell Lawn in Tompkins Square Park. This film is part of #FilmsOnTheGreen, which hosts free French films with English subtitles. Sounds like the perfect date night pick to us!
Movies On A Boat
Another fabulous outdoor movie option is watching the films on the deck of the Intrepid! You’ll be sitting on the ship’s flight deck, with a beautiful view of the Hudson River and Manhattan skyline while you watch the movies. Admission tickets are free, but are distributed on a first-come basis, so make sure you’re standing in line at 7pm when the flight deck opens. Movies begin at sunset.
Or, if you don’t fancy the idea of waiting in line and taking your chances, you can become a member of the Intrepid Museum and secure your tickets to the show ahead of time online. Here’s the lineup for the 2018 season:
- June 29: Wonder Woman
- July 13th: Friday the 13th
- July 27th: Dunkirk
- August 10th: Ghostbusters
- August 24th: Community Choice Pick (You can vote on their website for the film to be shown on this evening!)
We’re sure Westside residents will particularly love the convenience of these films. It’s particularly close to Crystal Green.
Movies On A Rooftop
Like many things in life, movies are just more fun when watched on a rooftop! This year, you can head to Midtown’s Skylawn at Embassy Suites by Hilton for a summer of fabulous films, hosted by the Rooftop Cinema Club. The season opens on June 1st, and hosts four nights of films a week throughout the season, including favorites such as Mean Girls and Dirty Dancing. The slight difference with this movie watching experience is that you will all be wearing headphones to hear the sound of the film. You’ll have comfy seats to relax in, well worth the ticket price. Since these films are in venues serving alcohol, they are for 21+, adults only. Don’t worry, NYC parents. We think your kids will enjoy movies in the park better anyway. More room to run!
Family Friendly Apartments at Crystal GreenApartment living should suit each and every member of your family, and Crystal Green's upscale amenities are sure to please everyone! Check our available units today.