Coming on Tuesday, March 25, to Pier 36 in the Financial District is the exceptionally well curated Village Voice Choice Eats "tasting event," now in its seventh year and featuring dishes from more than 70 truly first-rate NYC eateries of all kinds.
This, I hear, can be a terrific time and no question the vendor lineup is stellar. Even if you can't make it to Choice Eats, the good news is that you can go to these places any time you want! Yay, NYC! Hence, Glenwood's handy interactive map of ALL 70+ restaurants, bakeries, ice cream parlors, everything. Here's a few quick picks from the event:
Choice Eats Food Vendors
There are way too many personal favorite savory selections to list here, but any list of highlights would include:
- Coppelia, the Latin "diner" on West 14th (get the pernil… and everything else).
- Black Tree on Orchard Street, whose magnificent Summer Pig Sandwich is pictured above.
- Jacob's Pickles on Amsterdam Avenue, whose menu features some of the best smothered biscuits in town.
- Distilled and the new Telepan Local in Tribeca, both serving up what might be called "creative American" dishes.
- Larb Ubol on West 39th for fiery Isan Thai.
Other spots I've enjoyed in the real world who will be on hand:
- Yunnan Kitchen,
- 606 R&D,
- Jones Wood Foundry,
- Tabata Noodles (pictured below),
- Fletcher's Barbecue.
Sweet Treats at Choice Eats
Adam Platt may rant about this being the dark ages for high-end desserts, but it is also a brilliant golden age for NYC bakeries and ice cream makers. Among the contenders for the city's best sweet treats who will be at Choice Eats are:
- Greenpoint's exceptional Ovenly, whose entire menu I've eaten at this point, and am always in heaven!
- The creative cupcake magicians at Robicelli's. Their "chicken and waffle" creation was pretty phenomenal.
- Doughnut Plant, who also nails it every time.
- Sam Mason's superb Odd Fellows Ice Cream, home of the Chorizo Caramel cone.
- Liddabet Sweets,
- Ample Hills Creamery,
- La Newyorkina.
Heck, you could feast on dessert alone at the Village Voice Choice Eats and leave happy!
More Information: The Village Voice Choice Eats
The Village Voice Choice Eats tasting event is happening on Tuesday evening, March 25, at Pier 36 on South Street. Tickets are $60 in advance, $70 at the door. Visit them online for more information and a complete list of vendors. Or just wander around Glenwood's exclusive interactive map!
Tell us in the comments: Which of these restaurants are you looking forward to trying out?